500 Internal Server Error - Question | JoomShaper

500 Internal Server Error

easybreather

easybreather

SP Page Builder 2 months ago

I am upgrading to Joomla 5.1.1 successfully for old sites . Everything seems to work but I then attempted to do some front end editing on one site but I am getting "500 Internal Server Error" when clicking on Frontend Editor:

Internal Server Error The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request. Please contact the server administrator at to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error. More information about this error may be available in the server error log. Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

This is after clicking on the Frontend Edit button which then goes to <mysite>.eu/enhome/about<site>/edit/2

Editing the page in Builder is fine but not Frontend.

I have done the usual "clear cache", check account & password upd2date etc etc etc but it seems independent of these issues. Very similar to previous problems with the spinning pizza wheel :(

What have I done wrong? What can I do to fix? We wish you a joyous and blessed Eid ul Adha! Thanks in advance

3 Answers
Toufiq
Toufiq
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 2 months ago #160070

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out, and I apologize for any inconvenience caused by this oversight. Before upgrade or migrate your site, you should follow this process.

1. Take a backup of your site before updating any extension. You can use Akeeba Backup to take a backup in ZIP format.
  2. Check if the website works on your local PC.
  3. Install a fresh Joomla and check if there are any issues.
  4. If you previously worked on something and now it's not working, I suggest disabling any recently installed extensions and check if the problem persists.
  5. Check the current PHP version and compare it with the previous version.
  6. Enable Debug mode and Error Reporting to check if there are any issues.
  7. Check the console if you have any editing issue of Page Builder addons
  8. Create a staging site before updating anything and check if everything works fine there.
  9. How to create a staging site https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ms8hPQfM3xfF4XUO0W4pUZAhzGUqxBwD/view

Create a subdomain from your cPanel.

• Export your existing site's database from PHPMyAdmin.
  • Create a new database.
  • Import the existing database to the new database.
  • Update the configuration.php file.
  • Go to the administrator section of the staging site.

Best regards,

Toufiqur Rahman (Team Lead, Support)

easybreather
easybreather
Accepted Answer
2 months ago #160162

Thanks for the answer.

Hmmm! If this not already public then I suggest it should be made public in order that people considering the upgrade process appreciate the extra steps. I thought I had done all the recommended actions and it has been fine with other sites...

I will try and follow your process and report back...

Toufiq
Toufiq
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 2 months ago #160181

I will be wating for your report. Thanks